Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
How to come to an agreement as a team?
- Invitation for a discussion on a problem
Ask each person to come prepared with the 2 items:
1. A list of 3 main problems in that situation/context
2. A list of 3 solutions
- Each person shares their view of the situation.
Each person is given 1 or 2 minutes to explain their point of view. They are not to be interrupted. The chairperson writes down keywords on a board. The goal at this stage is not to agree.
- Each person shares 1-3 solutions to the situation.
The same type of round is performed; this time, solutions are given without details and written on the board. If the same one comes again, it will be marked with the number of occurrences. The chairperson announces a vote will be taken, so each person has to note which 3-5 solutions they will vote for.
- The chairperson leads a vote to decide which 3-5 solutions are the most powerful.
This is the first stage at which a vote is taken, and a real discussion starts.
- The participants are allocated to work on each priority solution
The meeting is adjourned with the agreement of a follow-up meeting where these solutions will be discussed. The solutions will be communicated before the meeting so that each person can prepare themselves with questions and suggestions.
- The next meeting will be the presentation of each solution by each team
As the participants are prepared, the discussion will be very focused, and all participants will fine-tune the solution.
- To support the team dialogue, additional training can be taken
An example of training can be found in Communication training